Living life to the full. There is no time like the present to begin a journey toward richer living. If you are seeking a means for addressing pain, healing relationships, working through loss, or adding meaning to your life, this may be the place for you. Learn to explore and express your feelings, examine your beliefs, and work toward making healthy choices. Watch your life be transformed into something satisfying and full of freedom!

I and Thou

"Because you're not what I would have you be, I blind myself to who, in truth, you are."
- Madeleine L'Engle

focus quote - as with all focus quotes, feel free to read the above quote and let it speak what it will to you. For more journal and conversation fodder, read on.

Martin Buber wrote of two contrasting kinds of relationship: the I/It relationship in which we view others as an object to be used or experienced; and the I/Thou relationship in which we experience each other in a relationship with no bounds. "No bounds" sounds both freeing and terrifying to me. On one hand, it opens up possibility for authenticity. On the other hand, one who is mysterious and cannot be defined seems dangerous.

The I/Thou position can slip away so easily and instantaneously. For example, when meeting someone for the first time have you ever thought, "They remind me of so and so"? In that brief moment of introduction you have connected them with someone who they are not. They have become the It. You have refused to let them remain undefined, therefore hindering your ability to experience them purely as they are.

Is it possible to remain fully open as you interact with someone? It seems like such a tall order. But one that has rewards to be sure. Think for a moment about Christ in our lives. Does he act as we expect him to act? In my experience, rarely. Therefore, if I pigeonhole Jesus into a certain type of behavior I will most certainly miss all that he is offering me in my life and relationship with him. On the other hand, if I let him be who he is, undefined while I make no predictions about his behavior or character, I may have the privilege of experiencing Jesus. Just Jesus and nothing else. No other pieces added or taken away from him. Could there be anything more life changing?
*
Is Christ who or what I would have him be? No, and neither are the other people I encounter daily. But I should be thankful they are not. If all was as I wanted it to be, I would remain the same and suffer because of it. May I continue to struggle with letting others be not as I would have them be, remembering the I/Thou position. Experiencing each moment for what it is, nothing more, nothing less.